Thursday, October 17, 2013

Revelation

(Side note: This essay was written in response to a lecturer asking all of us why we chose to be in medical school. I have written about it in great detail here:  http://thelukanmd.blogspot.com/2012/11/start-of-lukan-medical-journey.html. As I was writing this particular essay, I focused on the particular event that started it all. And as the title suggests, it really did come to me like a revelation, a sudden jolt or realization. It's somehow of a refresher essay for me of why. I've changed since I've written the very detailed reason but somehow the reason is still there although somewhat modified.)

            It starts with a crazy idea as these things go. As I was nearing the end of my college stay; I absolutely had no idea what I was going to do after I graduate. Initially, I started like those traditional medical students who right after high school wanted to go to Medicine. I even chose the quintessential pre-medical course. And yes, these decisions solely came from me; my parents never forced me into anything. The only thing they chose was what university I’d be entering. However, when I entered into college; I never imagined it would be that hard. I breezed through high school getting high grades without breaking a sweat.

It got me thinking that if I went to Medicine; it would be harder and there would be a lot more reading to be done. I didn't exert much effort back then. And before I knew it, I was graduating and with no clear direction. So yes, I was an underachiever back then. I didn't study throughout the night. And I even slept early.

            I remember it was a morning during my free time. I was sitting at a computer terminal in Rizal Library. I suddenly had a revelation that I didn't like animals or plants or even microbes. What I really liked was studying humans. I've been denying to myself that I was born to be studying and learning. So without any prior notice to my parents; on that same morning I registered myself to take the NMAT and enrolled myself in review classes. All that was left to do was choose what medical schools to apply to.

            As I was late in planning for medical school; I didn't know the choices. I couldn't apply to the medical school of the university because I lacked units so I had to search for other options. So I searched through the Facebook profiles of my batch mates and through that search I made 3 choices. Initially it was only 2 but I added a 3rd option because of my unspectacular undergraduate GWA. And to cut the story short, I was accepted to only 2.


            So far, I can say I made the right choice. Although, sometimes it depresses me because I’m 24 yet I’m still in school and still dependent on my parents. However, it brings me unspeakable joy when I get asked by people about medical knowledge. Heck, every parental visit sometimes becomes a medical consultation. And I haven’t even obtained the mystical “M.D.” added to my surname. It comes with a pressure to be updated but I've learned it only drives me to learn and read further.   

No comments:

Post a Comment