Saturday, November 24, 2012

Start of the Lukan Medical Journey

Interviewer: So...bakit hindi ka nag-apply sa ASMPH?

That was always the question I've encountered during my interview process for medical school applications. Well, they had a point. I was an Ateneo graduate and given there is a medical school catering for Ateneans (not that ASMPH doesn't accept outsiders; they give more slots to Atenean graduates compared to other graduates).

Thinking back at that process, I have to come back to this fundamental question: why Medicine?

I graduated high school thinking I would end up being a doctor because I loved Biology (was the one who got highest in our Biology diagnostic test; beating even the top 1). And it was no-brainer that I would pick a pre-medical course among the two schools that I applied to and got accepted for. Heck, people were expecting me to become a doctor because of my intelligence.

I sauntered into ADMU thinking I was going to have an easy time but, boy, was I wrong. It was hard; I'm not going to lie. If before teachers don't check your essays; in ADMU they actually do. But I eventually got over the shock and adjusted. Still loved the sciences but it got me thinking, is this what am I going to be doing all my life, studying? And I admit it; I got lazier in college compared to high school. I was so used to doing nothing yet doing so well in exams that I was unused to working hard for kick-ass grades. In fact, if it weren't for the sciences; my QPI might have been so low (those core subjects were the one that lowered my QPI; not those hard science subjects).

It was 2007 when ASMPH opened its doors and being in ADMU; it was advertised to us. Something about breeding the new breed of doctors. It offered something new: a MD/MBA program. Well, that's one option.
However, at the same year; got sick and had to leave for 1 semester thereby getting delayed. I didn't pursue the option of finishing on time because that would have entailed a lot of stress.

So at the beginning of my last semester in ADMU; most of my batchmates were in Medicine (most were in ASMPH while some chose UST-FMS and UERMMC and 2 went to UPCM). During this last semester; since I had finished all my Science subjects except for Organic Chemistry and those left were the core subjects. Tried to add Biochemistry because I still had another elective slot in my program (and to keep the ASMPH option open) but the professor forced me to withdraw because she feared I might not do well in her class seeing that I haven't completed Organic Chemistry.

At the course of that last semester, I realized something...damn it, I miss Biology more specifically those related to the human body. I realized I don't love animals, plants and microorganisms at all...and dare I say it; I WANT TO BE A FUCKING PHYSICIAN!!! I've been deluding myself. I mean it is a long journey but I love love (even triple love) studying Science especially related to Medicine.

It was in the Rizal Library while indulging in the free computer access that I realized this simple and immutable fact. Something that I've been hiding from myself for the past years. So I instantly registered for the NMAT on the spot and enrolled myself in an NMAT review class without first telling my parents. I immediately called my mother and told her my decision and told her of the fees that need to be paid.

But I couldn't apply to ASMPH because of their Biochemistry pre-requisite. Err...I don't want to spend a semester just studying Biochemistry. So what were my options:

UST-FMS: I'm not used to a conservative environment and I have this irrational fear that I might burn if I stepped into their campus so no.

UERMMC: Check

UPCM: Hmmm...I don't have connections nor do I have a laude to my name. But mother coerced me later...fine (but wasn't expecting to be accepted).

Needed another option. I happen to stumble upon the Facebook page of my other 2 batch mates and low and behold; it said "currently studying at SLCM-WHQM". Interesting, these two are smart and the epitome of what an Atenean is expected to be so why aren't they at ASMPH?

Okay, so 3 options: UPCM, UERMMC and SLCM-WHQM. I toured the respective schools to pump myself for the upcoming NMAT.

UPCM: Okay...I totally envision myself here.

UERMMC: Let's just say it's near an LRT line.

SLCM-WHQM: Just one building and simple. No other impression.

Got an NMAT score that's respectable but not enough for UPCM, well-within their range but not quite (not to mention my laude-less status) but for the 2 other choices good enough. All that's left is completing the application form. Submitted my applications for the first 2 well before the end of their respective deadlines while for the last one, still had January to file it.

January. Submitted the last of my application forms to SLCM-WHQM...and got an interview scheduled already for next week. Like I submitted it at 9: 00 am and got a call at 3: 00 pm from the Registrar saying I had an interview schedule for next week. Wow. Even my parents were impressed at the speed.

While UERMMC has yet to contact me at that time.

So the interview date came. I gelled my hair, shaved and dressed formally (even brought a necktie). What I immediately noticed was how friendly the people were. And the library...damn! It was so decadent and ostentatious; I couldn't believe I thought the college was just simple.But before the interview proper; we interviewees were made to watch a presentation about SLCM-WHQM. And I was hooked. They were geared towards excellence and they had the results to show for it (a consistent 100% PRC board passing rate; something which no other medical school in the Philippines can currently boast of).

SLCM-WHQM Interviewer: So...we come to the last part of this interview...

Me: (Ahh...the-if-you-were-accepted-to-all-your-choices-would-you-still-choose-us-question)

SLCM-WHQM Interview:  If you were accepted to all three choices would you still enroll at SLCM-WHQM?

Me: (After being impressed by your library, your results and the general atmosphere; heck, it was like being back at the Ateneo; do I need to answer that!) Well, seeing as I didn't get accepted at UPCM; the initial list of interviewees were released. Realistically, my choice would be between UERMMC and SLCM-WHQM. And I can honestly say I would choose SLCM-WHQM because it is so much better.

*note: Wasn't ass-kissing at this point; I was like 100% sure of my decision at that moment. Heck, those guys at UERMMC were taking so long. Eventually got the interview schedule from UERMMC (the dean personally called our house to inform us of the interview date but in my mind, too little too late). But didn't sabotage my interview with them so still got accepted at UERMMC.

So did I really miss out on a lot of things just because I didn't take the extra mile to take up Biochemistry even as a non-credit course? For one thing, I would like to go back to that professor that forced me to withdraw and show her my current grades in Biochemistry. I can imagine her surprise (and her jaw dropping, and recanting what she said to me). And another thing, lots of things wouldn't have happened to me if I opted  for Sta. Mesa instead of E. Rodriquez.

Here's a list:
1. Wouldn't have met an SLMC-Global and SLMC-QC consultant that also sidelines as a yoga instructor while teaching at ADMU. Yep, I'm still flabbergasted.

2. http://thelukanmd.blogspot.com/2012/11/facebook-post.html. It hurt, yes, but I still have the privilege of having someone that amazing as a friend. That someone changed my life and quite possibly eviscerated any last lingering doubts I had about myself (and some of these doubts came from taking Catholicism seriously).

3. Given the very flexible schedule and requirements; it gives time to develop one's self. I still manage to maintain a healthy lifestyle (exercise and eat right). I don't even look like a typical medical student because of this. Heck, I still manage to meet new people outside of my expected social circles.

4. The very first Lukan MS/MD hybrid and The Lukan Radiologist/Researcher. Yes, such people exist. I was initially repulsed by research but because of these people I can see the importance of research. I may not follow in their footsteps but I am open to research collaborations.

As another unexpected friend sums it up, "I'm so glad you're from a non-pedigreed medical school".

However, being in a graduate school is no fun and games. But as long as you know your reasons and they are sound; go for it. It's all in the time management and scheduling skills. And don't let your undergraduate experience define your graduate experience.

FYI: You'd be surprised at the two subjects keeping me afloat. They absolutely have nothing to do with my course.

And another thing, it was a good thing I was lazy during college. Might have gotten a magna cum laude or, heavens forbid, a summa cum laude and got accepted at UPCM and currently being in under so much stress; they have patient encounters in their 1st year proper already. Not that I'm saying it's a crappy school but the workload might have literally killed me.

Final Note: Since SLCM-WHQM stands from St. Luke's College of Medicine - William H. Quasha Memorial; the noun "Lukan" comes from St. Luke's. It was coined during Batch 2012's commencement exercises to connote people who come from this school.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just a small correction on "It was 2008 when ASMPH opened its doors"

    The ASMPH opened 2007.

    Good luck with your medical career! :D

    Sincerely Yours,
    -ASMPH Pioneer batch 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the correction (it seems my memory is not good; oh no hahaha).

      Anyway, thanks also for the best wishes. And good luck on being one of the pioneer batch of ASMPH.

      Delete